Tuesday 20 March 2012

Pirate Camp: My 500 Word Evaluation


This is the fourth project I have undertaken this year for the module, ‘Design Practise 3’. The brief given to me described that I must use my creative skills to produce a dynamic pirate camp that has at least 3 procedurally animated components or environmental effects in it. When designing and animating I had to think about articulation, presentation, timing, camera shots, texturing and lighting. I had to produce the animation using new software to me known as ‘Autodesk Maya’, although we were allowed to model in ‘Autodesk 3Ds Max’. By the end of this project I had to produce a 30 second long animation demonstrating these skills as well as the ability to pick up knew software efficiently.


At the beginning of this project I found it quite daunting as I found Maya confusing compared to 3Ds Max but after spending some time on the software I soon picked it up and even found myself being able to model a few of the object’s in my scene within Maya. The many seminar session’s and tutorial video’s helped with the development of my skills, which gave me more confidence with the software to produce a simple, good and strong animation.

I started this project by producing a number of initial sketches of my ideas and layout’s to get a visual understanding of how I want my camp to look. Once this was done I was able to develop these sketches into more detailed drawings. I also drew all the components separately adding extra details to so when it came to modelling them I knew exactly how I wanted everything to look and where it should be placed in the scene. The next step I took in my process was to start modelling, some of which was done in Maya and the rest in 3Ds Max and then I added textures.

The 3 dynamics I chose to do were ncloths for the washing line and flag, and dynamic particles for the fire and rain. I found these quite simple to do after a slow process picking up how to do it; I found the best thing to do was to just change the settings until I had the effect I wanted.

Overall, I enjoyed this project and learning new skills, I found it particularly useful learning the new software within a short period of time, as this is something that I will have to do when I am actually working in the industry. I am very pleased with my final outcome, what I like about my own work is the camera movement and essential shot’s. There are some dislikes I have however which are that I feel I could of improved the fire as it is a little to tame considering the ‘storm’ that it supposed to be happening and I also believe that the rain could still be more visible. The entire outcome is something I am proud of and I can see myself going down the compositing and CGI route as a career so it was nice to get a good incite into what can be done in this side of the industry and could be something I like to continue to focus on. I look forward to producing more animation within Maya and developing my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment