Friday 22 February 2013

Artefact 1: Comparing levels of Exaggeration

I wanted to investigate using the software Autodesk Maya, I wanted to adapt my character animation skills within this program as it is vital for me to get as much experience in a variety of software for when I work within the industry. 


For my first Artefact I want to show the direct comparison between an unexaggerated emotion with an exaggerated one, I chose anger as it is recognisable to anybody and can be portrayed in a variety of ways. Although this Artefact are still images I believe it was a good place to start as it allowed me to run an unbiased test on the public as to which represented the emotion of anger, best.

Below are the two characters that were presented to people in order for me to receive feedback:




The feedback that I received clearly showed that the majority were confused as to what emotion the character on the left was attempting to portray, they felt that the character was possibly too unexaggerated therefore it looks as if it ‘shocked or confused’ at the situation presented before him, however, they like how the hand sizes make it appear as if it is leaning towards you. I received feedback from my tutor Andy and my tutor group who thought that the character on the right was overly exaggerated and that the rig was pushed past its limits and therefore causing the character to slightly deform in the corners of the mouth. The small hands also make this character seem reserved slightly, the bigger hands would have emphasised on his emotion. 

Overall, from the feedback received it was clear to me that this rig can only handle a certain level of exaggeration. Just because there is a limit doesn’t mean that it cannot be exaggerated at all but the performance may not as strong as one that has a more flexible rig. For my next Artefact I intend to animate Morpheus to test exactly to what extent his emotions can be exaggerated to convey a story to an audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment