Monday 1 November 2010

One Shot: My Thoughts?

As my first project at university, I found the one shot film to have taught me a lot. The most immediate piece of experience that I suppose I've gained from this project is the realisation that it is very difficult to transfer what's in your mind to something that can be shown to others.

The original concept of the film was for a guy who has hit rock bottom at the end of a hectic, alcohol filled night (as attempted with a guy being sick) to move back through the scenes that led towards that event and slowly show a chain of events in reverse. We attempted to leave the end of the film with the same actor that was present at the beginning of the film questioning whether or not "was it worth it?", with 'it' being the party / university lifestyle. The problems that we had transferring a relatively simple idea into something that can be instantly understood by any viewer is that its really difficult to have the same person in all of the scenes of film when you are limited to one shot. To salvage at least a small part of that idea, we did actually manage to get our actor in the first and last scene of the film, even though it may not be immediately obvious (bad choice of clothing...).

Other than that I found out of the terror that is working in a group. People's schedules, followed by different outlooks on a certain idea can just be too much especially when you leave it to the last minute! However its definitely something that I'll get accustomed to overtime.

I think if we spent more time on the props used within our film and maybe explored the studio's size and dimensions before actually venturing in then maybe the message would of came across more clearly. Problems that I feel we had with our props were:

  • They looked nothing like walls. I opted for painting them, but time wasn't on our side.
  • Height wise they were a lot smaller then the height of the ceiling in the studio. Which therefore looks odd on camera. 
  • They were very flimsy, another material other than card should have been substituted in. 
  • They were just bad.
All in all it was a great learning experience and I consider it a positive thing to come across all of these problems so early on in the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment